Sanse2014 Survival Guide
Enjoy 2014’s Fiestas de la Calle de San Sebastian to the max! Remember these words to the wise and you’ll make the most out of Puerto Rico’s biggest street festival as an unforgettable in Old San Juan!
- Date: Thursday January 16 – Sunday January 19
- Location: Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Activities: please see our last blog post for detailed calendar of events https://sanjuanfoodstg.wpengine.com/san-sebastian-street-festival-2014/
- There’s more to SanSe2014 than just partying and drinking, stop by during the day to see the colorful parades and costumes, as well as over 1000 artisans, craftsmen, musicians and other local talent
- The best time to enjoy the cultural events is from 10am – 6pm
- If traveling with the family, do not bring strollers and keep your little ones nearby at all times.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes
- Be prepared for the crowds. OSJ is expecting over 500,000 locals and tourists over the next 4 days. Crowding will be greatest near San Sebastian Street and the main stage at Plaza del Quinto Centenario
- It will be hot and crowded so remember to drink water and stay hydrated
- Bring cash, most vendors will not take credit/debit and ATMs are scarce and you can expect long lines.
- Expect extra long travel times when getting in and out of Old San Juan
- Remember this festival is taking place on “island time,” so expect many concerts and events to start a little later than scheduled
- Don’t even think of driving! Traffic is a nightmare, and the entrance to Old San Juan will be closed @ 6:00pm Thursday & Friday and @noon Saturday & Sunday
- Use public transportation: buses, trains, taxis, ferries
- Buses will run from Sagrado Corazon and the Convention Center to the Covadonga bus terminal in OSJ
- Ferries will run from Hato Rey and Cataño to OSJ
- Schedule of public transportation:
- Thursday -Friday: 3:00pm – 2:00am / Saturday: 9:00am – 2:00am /Sunday: 9:00am – 12:00 am
- ***Public transportation going INTO Old San Juan will stop at 10pm. After this time all public transportation (buses, ferries) will go OUT of Old San Juan. After this time, use taxis to get into OSJ****
- Price: $1 round trip (bus fare), regular price (Tren Urbano)
- $5 bracelets are available for “express lines”
- Taxis: do not pay more than $5 per person.
- Police curfew : Thursday & Sunday @ 12 midnight and Friday & Saturday @ 2 a
- Searches: all festival-goers entering OSJ will be subject to a search by police with metal detectors and dogs
- Prohibited items: weapons, drugs, liquids in bottles, any kind of glass, alcohol, firecrackers, coolers, flyers, promotional items.
- Minors (under 16) must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- After 6:00pm, adults ccompanying minors must be over 21
- Must 18 or older to drink
- BE SAFE, BE WISE, and most of all, HAVE FUN!!