Guava & Cheese Empanadas
Fun and funky recipe by our very own Epicurean Guide and Assistant Manager, Alexandra Ostolaza!
- 3/4 cup goat cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime (just enough to melt the cheese and make it into a slightly runny paste)
- 1/2 cup of guava paste, sliced thinly, small enough to fit in the shell.
- 10-12 medium shells for empanadas. Goya brand calls them “discos” or dough for turnovers (you can find these anywhere Caribbean or Latin American food is sold)
- Powdered sugar to sprinkle on top
- Combine the cheese and lemon juice. Mix well. You should have a smooth, creamy consistency. Looks like cool whip.
- Add lemon zest if you’re feeling fancy.
- Place a slice of the guava paste in the middle of the shell. Drop a tablespoon of the cheese on top. Take care and don’t overfill. The measurements are approx, you’ll find the sweet spot after you make 2 or 3 of them.
- Close the shell and crimp with a fork.
- Fry them in canola, peanut, or sunflower oil (any cooking oil with a high smoke point will do) until crispy and slightly brown on the outside.
- Drain and dust with powdered sugar. CHOW DOWN
- Notes: if you use mermelada or compote, be very careful when eating bc it will be molten hot coming out of then fryer
For more recipes, updates, and to stay connected with Flavors join our quarterly newsletter here