Arroz con Gandules or Stewed Rice with Pigeon Peas
by chef Kathy Libier of Flavors of San Juan
- 1 can cooked pigeon peas
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons sofrito
- ½ small yellow onion diced
- 1 talespoon parsley chopped
- 1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons sliced roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon manzanilla olives
- 1 envelope Goya sazón (seasoning) with annato
- ¼ cup cured salted pork, ham, or bacon (diced)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a rice pot sautee the salted pork (ham or bacon) over low heat. Add the onions, sazón, roasted peppers, salt, and parsley.
- Add 3 tablespoons of butter or margarine, olives, and tomato sauce.
- Add the rice and the pigeon peas and sautee for 3 minutes while stirring every 45 seconds.
- Add 2 ¼ cups of water. Stir and cook on medium heat until must of the water dries out.