This sweet treat is a Puerto Rican dessert that is traditionally served around the holidays (Christmas and New Years). However many restaurants and homes serve this delicious dish year round. Our version of rice pudding is extra sweet and thick, made with coconut milk and flavored with spices like ginger. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ cup medium grain rice
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 can coconut cream
- ½ cup raisins
Optional: Whipped cream, Ground cinnamon, Berries
- In a medium bowl , add the rice and enough cold water to cover by two inches. Soak the rice for 1 hour; remove the water and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, boil 4 cups water, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer for 10 minutes. Remove and discard the spices. Reserve the water in a saucepan.
- Add the coconut cream in the reserved water and bring to a boil. Add rice and raisins. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer the rice pudding into a large pan, and let cool in the refrigerator.
- To serve, place the rice on a serving plate and top with your choice of whipped cream, cinnamon and/or berries.